Wayne Wimot: Predator involved in Janine Balding murder to be released

Space-Separated Links

URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL


The state is seeking to slap heavy monitoring conditions on a serial sex offender – who was jailed over his involvement in the kidnapping, rape and murder of Janine Balding – upon his release from prison, a court has heard.

Wayne Wilmot is due to be released from prison later this year and the state has applied to the NSW Supreme Court for an extended supervision order to keep tabs on him upon his release into the community.

Earlier this year Supreme Court Justice Helen Wilson described Wilmot as having a “disturbing history of sexual offending which he continues to deny or minimise”.

“He has no insight into the risk he poses to others, and refused to acknowledge a need for risk management strategies,” Justice Wilson said.

He was further described displaying “psychopathic personality traits” and representing a risk of violent reoffending.

In 2019 a Supreme Court judge found that he posed an “unacceptable risk of committing a serious offence if not kept in detention” and as showing no remorse despite spending most of his adult life in jail and having the benefit of years of support and counselling.

Wilmot’s long history of offending was spelled out in the Supreme Court last year.

In September 1988, Wilmot, who was 15 years old at the time, was involved in the kidnapping, rape and murder of Janine Balding, a crime that shocked the state.

He and a group of co-offenders travelled to Sutherland Train Station, kidnapped Ms Balding at knife point and forced her into a car which was being driven by Wilmot.

She was sexually assaulted in the back seat before she was driven to a remote spot in western Sydney where she was again sexually assaulted and drowned in a dam.

Wilmot remained in the car and he was not involved in her killing.

In his 1990 sentencing remarks, a District Court judge noted that Wilmot did not sexually assault Ms Balding, however he was sentenced due to his involvement in a joint criminal enterprise.

The judge also accepted: “He knew nothing of their decision to kill her afterwards and that he was not in any degree involved in that aspect of the hideous events of this night.”

He was sentenced for a string of offences including four counts of sexual intercourse without consent, detain with intent to gain advantage and robbery in company.

He was sentenced to nine years and four months with a 7-year non-parole period.

He was released on parole in October 1996 but less than a year later he was again jailed for stealing a woman’s handbag and pushing her to the ground in Ashfield.

In 2004 he was jailed for the 1998 sexual assault of a 19-year-old railway employee at Leightonfield railway station after he was later DNA matched to the horrific crime.

He is due to be released from prison later this year, with the court granting the state an interim supervision order earlier this month.

The state has now applied for an extended supervision order to keep tabs on him in the community.

The matter was briefly mentioned in the Supreme Court on Thursday and will be subject to a hearing on June 28.

Wilmot was further described in a Supreme Court judgment earlier this month as a “recidivist sex offender” who used “threats, weapons and violence as necessary”.

“He has negative and sexist views of women and is supportive of sexual violence towards women, deeming them to deserve sexual violence depending upon their clothing, level of intoxication or perceived permissiveness,” Justice Wilson noted in her judgment

He was further described as lacking empathy and displaying a sense of entitlement.

“He consistently denies or minimises his sexual offending, this being a barrier to treatment and rehabilitation, and has no insight,” Justice Wilson said.

The court also heard this month that a forensic psychologist found that he represented a “well above average” risk of reoffending.

The court heard Corrective Services NSW had taken extensive steps to prepare Wilmot for release, including arranging accommodation and psychological counselling.

He has also been granted an NDIS support package including eight hours per week for assistance with daily life and 16 hours per week of help with social, economic and community participation.

In custody he has been designated as an extreme high security prisoner and has a history of violence and aggression towards prison staff, the court heard.

The court was told earlier this month that he regarded the need for supervision orders in the community as “bulls***”.

The state was last week granted an interim supervision order which imposed restrictions on Wilmot upon his release including that he wear an electronic monitor, submit to drug and alcohol testing, not hire sex workers unless prior approved by a Departmental Supervising Officer.

The orders also restrict his use of the internet and social media and he is not allowed to change his name.

The matter will return to court in June.

Leave a Comment