Vergil Ortiz swipes Tim Tszyu after ‘sickening’ KO win to set up mega fight

Space-Separated Links

URL URL URL URL URL URL URL URL


Boxing Hall of Famer Oscar De La Hoya has guaranteed Vergil Ortiz will knock out Tim Tszyu when they face off in an August super fight.

Their mega match was confirmed on Sunday when the American knockout artist thundered his way to a Round 1 knockout win over Thomas Dulorme.

Tszyu was forced to pivot to a blockbuster fight with Ortiz after the WBO announced US pound-for-pound king Terence Crawford will be next in line to fight Sebastian Fundora for his super welterweight crown.

UFC 301: PANTOJA VS ERCEG | SUN 5 MAY | Order Now with Main Event on Kayo Sports. Main Event on Kayo Sports and Foxtel is the new exclusive home of UFC Pay-Per-View.

Instead of taking it easy and waiting for a shot at a Fundora re-match, Tszyu is getting straight back to business with a risky fight against the former welterweight world champ.

Ortiz improved his undefeated record to a perfect 21-0 with all 21 wins coming via knockout when he sent Dulorme crashing to the floor in their Los Angeles fight.

It took Ortiz just two minutes before dropping his opponent with a savage kidney shot.

The blow was so fierce Ortiz was celebrating even fore the referee stopped the fight.

Boxing guru Dan Rafael described Ortiz as a “devastating puncher” after the fight.

Main Event’s Ben Damon wrote on Twitter: “Vergil Ortiz with a sickening first round KO today to set up his fight with Tim Tszyu”.

Ortiz called Tszyu out in the ring.

“Hey Tim man, I know you’re watching this fight right now. I’m ready for you, man,” Ortiz said.

“We’re ready. Let’s get ready for World War Three.”

When asked about the Tszyu fight, Ortiz said: “I just want to fight the best. I don’t care if it’s the right time or not, I just want to fight the best.”

Speaking in his dressing room after the fight, Ortiz said: “Tim Tszyu, let’s get it”.

Tszyu responded on Twitter, writing: “Me and Vergil Ortiz the real main event”.

He earlier wrote: “Camp starts Monday. Ready to bring all the heat”.

De La Hoya, meanwhile, further provoked Tszyu after the fight with the Golden Boy boxing promoter telling Tszyu he will get knocked out in August.

Tszyu has less than 100 days before the highly anticipated August 3 showdown.

The pair will throw down as the co-main event on the stacked card headlined by Crawford’s fight with WBA super welterweight champion Israil Madrimov.

The winner of the Tszyu-Ortiz fight would then likely be able to challenge the winner of Crawford’s following fight with Fundora later this year.

Tszyu has been medically suspended from fighting in Las Vegas until May 15 following his bloody war with Fundora last month where the new champ also suffered a broken nose.

Tszyu’s brave decision to turn his attention to Ortiz — an undefeated fighter — has been widely praised, but has also been described as dangerous.

Ortiz, a former welterweight world champ, has moved to the superwelterweight division after crushing every opponent put in front of him in the lower weight class.

It has been an extraordinary series of unfortunate events for Tszyu, who could easily have retained his title against Fundora if not for the accidental elbow that opened up a deep cut at the top of his forehead in Round 2.

Had Tszyu’s camp stopped the fight before the fourth round, the Sydney-sider could have walked away with a “no-contest” ruling.

Leave a Comment