Stuart MacGill: Cricketing great to stand trial over alleged drug deal

Space-Separated Links

URL URL URL


Cricketing great Stuart MacGill maintains he is “absolutely” the victim of a kidnapping and has suffered greatly as he gets set to stand trial over his alleged role in a large-scale cocaine deal.

Mr MacGill pleaded not guilty in Sydney’s Downing Centre Local Court on Thursday and was committed to stand trial over his alleged role in a $330,000 drug deal.

The cult leg spinner has remained on bail since his arrest in September last year when he was charged with one count of knowingly taking part in the supply of a large commercial quantity of a prohibited drug.

According to court documents, Mr MacGill is alleged to have taken part in the supply of a kilogram of cocaine at Neutral Bay, on Sydney’s lower north shore, between April 1 and April 14 in 2021.

Police have alleged the 53-year-old was involved in the cocaine deal worth more than $330,000

Inside court on Thursday, Mr MacGill’s solicitor Thos Hodgson entered a not guilty plea.

Mr MacGill stood as he was committed to stand trial in the District Court, where he will be formally arraigned later this year.

Magistrate Susan Horan agreed to expedite his arraignment, with the court hearing that the Crown prosecution was asking for the matter to be heard as soon as possible given the men accused of his alleged kidnapping were also awaiting trial.

The investigation into Mr MacGill began in 2021 after he was allegedly kidnapped from outside his Cremorne apartment in April 2021.

He was allegedly taken to a property at Bringelly in southwestern Sydney where he was assaulted, threatened with a gun and demands were made for money.

Six men have been charged over the alleged kidnapping and have pleaded not guilty and remain before the courts.

“It’ll be very strongly defended,” Mr Hodgson said outside court.

“He certainly does (stand by his innocence). He’s really the person who’s suffered greatly from this. He suffered a terrible ordeal.

“Emotionally, it’s taken a huge toll on him.”

Mr MacGill has repeatedly stated he was not involved in any wrongdoing.

“I know I’ve done nothing wrong,” he told A Current Affair in 2021.

He added that he was an “innocent” party in the matter.

Mr MacGill took 208 wickets during his 44-Test appearances for Australia during a stellar career that was spent largely in the shadow of Shane Warne.

Mr MacGill will next appear in court on April 12.

Leave a Comment