Sixteen children hospitalised after suspected poisoning at ice-skating rink in Adelaide

Space-Separated Links URL URL URL URL Space-Separated Links URL URL URL URL Space-Separated Links url url url url url url url url url url url url url url url url url url url url url url url url


A group of children have been hospitalised after suffering from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at an ice-skating rink in Adelaide’s west.

SA Health confirmed 16 people were admitted to the Royal Adelaide Hospital in the early hours of Sunday with high levels of carbon monoxide poisoning.

“Most patients are being observed while some have required oxygen therapy,” a spokeswoman said in a statement.

“They are all in a stable condition and expected to make a full recovery.”

Firefighters from the Metropolitan Fire Service arrived at the Ice Arena at James Congdon Drive in Thebarton at about 3am to test for harmful gases after receiving a call from the RAH.

A spokesman told Nine News they believed a dehumidifier and an ice resurfacer were responsible for the poisonings, and were currently investigating.

“They’ve determined two pieces of machinery that could potentially have caused the hazardous situation,” the spokesman said.

“They have isolated the machinery and are testing to see if that’s the cause.”

Chief Public Health Officer Professor Nicola Spurrier urged anyone with symptoms to get a check up immediately.

“Pregnant women and very young infants are also advised to be checked regardless of symptoms,” she said.

Read related topics:Adelaide

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *