Former AFL powerbroker Ricky Nixon has indicated he intends to fight allegations he sold fake sports memorabilia.
Mr Nixon, 60, appeared in the Melbourne Magistrates Court via video link on Tuesday.
His lawyer, Jasmine Taleb, told the court they had attempted to negotiate with the prosecution over the case last week but there was “no real prospects of resolution”.
Mr Nixon was charged in November last year, after allegedly selling 10 footballs purportedly signed by members of the Melbourne Demons following their historic premiership win in 2021.
According to charge sheets, Mr Nixon allegedly “did by deception” purport the signatures of players were genuine, which he then flogged for $595 each on October 1, 2021.
Mr Nixon has denied he knew the footballs were fake, claiming he bought them from a person who wold him they worked for an AFL licensee.
“To my surprise and total shock three of the balls were fake,” Mr Nixon told Sam Newman’s podcast, You Cannot Be Serious, in November 2021.
“I am the one who’s been stooged – not the other way around.”
In court, Ms Taleb requested the case be sent of for a contest mention and noted there was two witness statements police had yet to provide — with one believed travelling and the other avoiding police.
Magistrate Rosemary Falla agreed, adjourning the matter until April 6.
She ordered police to provide everything they wanted to rely upon for the case to Mr Nixon’s lawyers by April 1.
Mr Nixon appeared happy with this course of actions, responding; “thank you very much, thank you very much”.