High profile Manly Sea Eagles recruit Luke Brooks was a surprise appearance at the US consulate in Sydney on Wednesday as he joined fellow NRL stars summoned for interviews in their bid to be granted visas ahead of the Las Vegas season opener.
Broncos pair Reece Walsh and Tristan Sailor made the trip to Sydney and were expected to front the American officials, but Brooks was also among the group.
According to Nine Newspapers, Brooks was questioned over an incident in 2017.
Watch sport this summer live with no ad breaks in play on Kayo Sports. Join Kayo now and start streaming instantly >
According to the report, Brooks and his brother were allegedly attacked by a group of men who exited a taxi to spark a fight, with the gun halfback reportedly arrested and later released without charge.
The altercation occurred outside the Town Hall Hotel on Darling Street in Balmain following a scuffle with the same group inside the Balmain Workers.
A drunken patron confronted Brooks who attempted to avoid his advances before dropping his tray of drinks when the individual began getting physical.
Brooks’ brother and friends reportedly intervened and later when they left the venue the group spotted the former Tigers No.7 and jumped from their taxi to reignite the scuffle.
“It’s all good. Just getting my visa sorted. It’s up to the people in charge, so we’ll see what happens,” Brooks told reporters after his interview with US officials.
Thursday will also see South Sydney stars Jack Wighton and Latrell Mitchell front up after they were arrested last year for fighting in public, along with assistant John Sutton, who was arrested nine years ago for disorderly conduct while on a pre-season camp in Arizona.
Wighton and Mitchell were cleared over the incident with the police officers involved later charged.
The Sydney Roosters’ Brandon Smith, meanwhile, is also set to appear over an arrest more than 10 years ago while he was playing for North Queensland.
Walsh meanwhile was called on for an interview following his drug possession charge and his subsequent arrest in 2021.
The Broncos fullback was handed a good behaviour bond and a $400 fine with no conviction being recorded after the incident on the Gold Coast.
“The people upstairs were lovely and pretty helpful. I’m pretty hopeful it all goes well and excited to [be] getting over there to Vegas. It’s exciting,” Walsh said.
“It’s cool to take the NRL over to the US and show them what we’re about and how we play. I’m excited and looking forward to it.”
Originally published as Why Manly recruit Brooks was grilled at US consulate as Vegas hopefuls plea case for visas
Read related topics:Sydney