Australia invests $400 into AI controlled killer drone fleet


Australia will inject hundreds of millions of dollars to build a fleet of AI-controlled killer drones as part of efforts to boost the nation’s military capabilities.

Defence Industry Minister Pat Conroy is expected to announce a further $400m boost into the federal government’s MQ-28A Ghost Bat program on Friday.

The funding injection will see the first design and manufacture of military combat aircraft in Australia in more than fifty years.

Minister Conroy said the Ghost Bat project will involve 55 Australian companies, with more than 70 per cent or $600m of funding already directed towards local industry.

“The prosperity and security of our nation will always be a top priority for the Albanese Government,” Mr Conroy said.

“That’s why giving our air force the critical capabilities it needs to protect Australians, and their interests, is paramount.”

The announcement follows a review of Australia’s defence capabilities last year which urged for a major overhaul of military spending, including the continued development and acquisition of legal drone technology.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *