2yo girl left next to dad’s body for days in Gold Coast, Coolangatta unit

Space-Separated Links


The two-year-old daughter of a man who was found dead in a Gold Coast unit is believed to have been left alone with his body for several days.

It comes after police discovered the body of Hasel Liu, 31, during a welfare check at his home in Coolangatta on Friday morning.

During the visit, Queensland Police found his daughter alive inside the apartment and initially reported the child had been left by themselves for “an unknown amount of time” with the deceased.

The two-year-old was then taken to hospital.

In another cruel blow for the man’s family, it was revealed his black Mazda was also stolen on Saturday night – the day after his body was discovered.

Neighbours told Seven News they heard someone inside the man’s apartment and watched them take off in the his car at about 8pm.

Police confirmed they had received reports about the stolen vehicle, but despite patrols and a number of inquiries, had not been able to locate its whereabouts as of Monday afternoon.

“Investigations into locating the reported vehicle are ongoing,” Queensland Police said.

Meanwhile Mr Liu’s twin brother, Lucas Marcas, travelled from Sydney to the Gold Coast on Sunday to visit the apartment and talk to police and neighbours, Seven reported.

He told 7NEWS his brother was “loving” and “caring” guy.

“He’s always going out there helping and does everything for other people (that) he won’t do for himself,” he said.

It is understood Mr Liu was a refugee trying to start a better life in Australia.

A relative reportedly alerted authorities to check the apartment after she could not contact Mr Liu for several days.

His death has been declared non-suspicious although police are still investigating his cause of death.

In a statement provided to news.com.au, Queensland Police confirmed there are “currently no suspicious circumstances” involved.

“Police will prepare a report for the coroner following the death of a man in Coolangatta this on Friday, March 29,” the statement read.

“Shortly after 11.30am, police responded to Stapylton Street to conduct a welfare check.

The man was located deceased inside the property, there are currently no suspicious circumstances.”

Leave a Comment